There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting in your house in front of a fire during the cold season. But this comfort is often temporary when you have some pending cleaning work to do in your home. While cleaning the house, most people often neglect the areas that aren’t visible from the inside. This includes the forgotten chimney. But did you know this negligence can increase the risk of a fire hazard in your house?
On top of that, it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, the leading cause of death from poisoning in the United States. If you’ve missed chimney cleaning for quite a long time, it’s time to call Houston chimney sweep service. In the meantime, this blog will address the importance of the service. If you wonder what can possibly happen when I don’t clean the chimney annually, please consider reading the blog till the end.
What happens when you don’t clean your chimney for too long?
Cleaning a chimney isn’t a household chore that’s widely discussed. In fact, you can’t even see most of the creosote buildup. But there are some detrimental consequences to your property and health if you ignore this vital part of your home. So, what happens when you don’t clean your chimney?
Cleaning chimneys is crucial to health and safety.
If your house has a fireplace, cleaning the chimney is an essential chore to keep everyone safe and healthy. It also prevents dangerous upshots inside your home.
When you don’t clean your chimney for too long, it will result in blockage and toxic gases build up within your home. It will start the combustion process of fires, which you aren’t supposed to inhale. From serious respiratory issues to suffocation or poisoning, not cleaning a chimney is much more than a matter of your home’s outside appearance.
When creosote builds up on the chimney’s inner walls, it obstructs the venting of dangerous toxins out of your home. Besides, it can also lead to a chimney fire which can quickly spread to your entire house.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Chimneys can release toxic gases, such as carbon monoxide, into your home. Carbon monoxide is created from burning coal and wood. Since this gas has no smell, you might even not know until it causes serious health concerns. That’s why you should have an alarm fitted in your home and get your chimney checked annually.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s important to have a regular chimney sweep and free the passage for the fumes to exhaust outside.
A chimney fire
It’s not difficult to start a fire. All you need to do is have a perfect balance of heat, oxygen, and fuel. If your chimney has combustible soot, it can become fuel to start a fire. That’s because the remaining fire ingredients, such as oxygen and heat, are already in your room and fireplace. Fires from chimneys can reach temperatures over 1,000 degrees Celsius. This can crack chimneys, and in the worst case, it can ignite nearby materials – causing a house fire.
Don’t wait for obvious signs.
There are no obvious warning signs when it comes to chimney hazards. That’s why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends having your chimney inspected at least once every year to ensure your safety and its proper functionality.
Repairs, cleaning, and maintenance are based on an inspection conducted by a chimney professional. They will come in, inspect your chimney, and tell you what needs to be cleaned or fixed. If you want to examine your chimney and avoid such hazardous situations, please get in touch with Brushes Chimneys. Our experts are ready to provide you with the best service available. By trusting our professionals, you can relax in your home in a cold season without getting worried about the risks that come with chimney inspection negligence.