LIVE Transfer Talk: Rashford’s Man Utd struggles have Barcelona eyeing

LIVE Transfer Talk: Rashford's Man Utd struggles have Barcelona eyeing

The 2022 January transfer window is closed, but there’s still plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: Xavi keen on Rashford despite Man United form

Barcelona are interested in a move for Marcus Rashford amid his ongoing struggles this season for Manchester United, according to the Manchester Evening News.

The 24-year-old’s form has led him to being dropped to the bench for the Red Devils as well as being dropped by England. This has led to the player reportedly considering his future at the club, with only one year remaining on his contract.

It comes as the Blaugrana are in need of a potential long-term forward option, with Ousmane Dembele set to leave as a free agent in the summer

New manager Xavi Hernandez has impressed in his short tenure so far, taking the club up to third in LaLiga and booking their place in the Europa League quarterfinals.

Signings of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Ferran Torres and Adama Traore have also helped bolster the side, with more signings to come in the summer to help build the manager’s vision.

Rashford played 19 Premier League games this season, scoring four goals and assisting twice.

– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

21.54 GMT: While Bayern Munich have been linked with a move for Ryan Gravenberch, the 19-year-old midfielder isn’t the only Ajax player the Bavarians are interested in. SportBILD reports that Bayern also hold interest in 24-year-old righ-back Noussair Mazraoui, who’s also caught the eye of Barcelona, and 22-year-old winger Antony.

21.21 GMT: AS Roma are continuing to push for the signing of Manchester United full-back Diogo Dalot, writes Calciomercato. The 23-year-old Portugal international has been heavily linked with a move to to the Italian capital, though he has been starting for Ralf Rangnick since he took charge at Old Trafford, and has a contract that runs until 2023.

20.48 GMT: Juventus are close to agreeing a four-year deal with pending free agent Paul Pogba, reports Rudy Galetti. This would mark the second time that the Manchester United midfielder has left Old Trafford for Turin, where he played between 2012 and 2016.

20.15 GMT: Bayern Munich are weighing up a potential move for Ajax midfielder Ryan Gravenberch, reports Fabrizio Romano, but they won’t offer a transfer fee of more than €25m to sign the 19-year-old Netherlands international.

19.40 GMT: Barcelona vice-president Rafael Yuste has said that signing Erling Haaland in the summer will be tough for the club to do. Speaking to Marca after the Europa League quarterfinal draw, he said: “I can’t say that the deal is off as you never know in football, but it’s very, very difficult. We won’t proceed with any deal that would create problems to our financial situation.”

19.03 GMT: The Paulo Dybala soap opera takes yet another twist at Juventus. The Argentina international is set to be a free agent in the summer, and negotiations that were said to be set for next Monday will not take place, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, as agent Jorge Antun reportedly does not meet the professional standards for agents set by FIFA.

18.24 GMT: Aston Villa right-back Matty Cash is “keen” on a move to Atletico Madrid, writes the Sun. The Poland international has started every Premier League game for the Villans this season, scoring three and assisting three and Atleti are interested in the 24-year-old as a long-term replacement for Kieran Trippier, who left in January for Newcastle United.

17.43 GMT: Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are in a race to sign Real Sociedad striker Alexander Isak, though any side who want to land him will have to activate his €90m release clause, according to AS. There was said to be interest in January, however a move never materialised. The summer could prove to be different for the 22-year-old.

17.00 GMT: Manchester City are set to sign Atletico Mineiro youngster Savio Moreira, according to Fabrizio Romano. The 17-year-old, also known as Savinho, is set to complete a deal worth €6.5m with a number of clauses and add-ons on top.

16.15 GMT: Inter Milan and Manchester United have both scouted Fiorentina central defender Nikola Milenkovic, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

Milenkovic, 24, will move into the final year of his contract this summer, meaning Fiorentina must look to move the player on if they are to get a sizeable transfer fee.

Inter see the Serbia international as a suitable replacement for Stefan de Vrij, who will also move into the final 12 months of his contract at the San Siro.

A transfer fee of around €15m is suggested, but that could be pushed up if Man United follow up on their scouting trip after watching him during the Serie A clash with Bologna.

Inter have also been linked with Torino’s Gleison Bremer, Feyenoord’s Marcos Senesi and Empoli’s Mattia Viti.

15.33 GMT: L’Equipe reports that Lille face a squad rebuild after their exit from the Champions League at the hands of Chelsea on Wednesday, with a number of key players set to move on.

Forward Renato Sanches is now almost certain to leave, with a transfer to AC Milan almost agreed. And Sven Botman, who turned down a move to Newcastle United in January, could also head to Italy to play for Milan.

Striker Jonathan David will be another player in demand who the Ligue 1 club will have to allow to move on. As many as 10 clubs are said to be preparing transfer offers, with Liverpool strongly linked.

14.50 GMT: How much will it cost Manchester City to sign Erling Haaland in both transfer fee, wages and signing fees? Well, German outlet Bild has crunched the numbers and reckons it’s a whopping €365m (£306m)!

The report says that the transfer fee will be €75m (£64m), which could rise to €85m (£71m). The Norway international is set to earn €200m (£168m) in wages over his contract as well as a €30m (£25m) signing-on fee.

When you adding agent Mino Raiola’s slice of the pie, that’s another €50m (£42m).

14.06 GMT: Gazzetta dello Sport reports that AC Milan have yet to decide whether Liverpool’s Divock Origi or Sassuolo’s Gianluca Scamacca will be their main striker target in the summer.

Origi, 26, is in talks with Milan over a free transfer, with his contract expiring in the summer. However, the report says that the Belgium international’s wage demands and very high and Milan may need to look at other options.

One of those could be the 23-year-old Scamacca, but there is likely to be competition for his signature from rivals Inter Milan.

Scamacca is set to put pen to paper on a contract extension, but that will not hold back his suitors once the transfer window reopens.

13.19 GMT: New Leeds United boss Jesse Marsch says he is determined to persuade Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha to stay at the club, once he has confirmed their Premier League status.

Defensive midfielder Phillips, England’s Player of the Year for 2021, is wanted by Aston Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle United and West Ham United. Forward Raphinha, meanwhile, is being tracked by Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Liverpool.

“I haven’t spend any time with anyone talking about their long-term future, only about living in the moment and what’s important for every day,” the Leeds boss told a news conference. “Those conversations can be had down the road once we can establish a few more things.

“Those conversations are more for the club, but I can always help and, of course, I would love to keep guys like Kalvin and Patrick Bamford and Raphinha, I would love to keep those guys here as long as possible.”

12.35 GMT: The Daily Telegraph reports that Paul Pogba will be in no rush to decide his future as the clock ticks down on his Manchester United contract, and is unlikely to agree a move before he becomes a free agent on July 1.

Pogba, who turned 29 on Tuesday, is expected to walk away from Old Trafford this summer six years after returning to the club from Juventus in a world-record deal.

He has been able to discuss a move abroad since Jan. 1, but cannot talk to other Premier League clubs until June 1.

The report says that the France international will be open to staying in English football, while Paris Saint-Germain are also being strongly linked. But the midfielder is happy to take his time before making a decision over what is likely to be the last big contract of his career.

11.51 GMT: Fabrizio Romano says that Barcelona are on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Franck Kessie from AC Milan.

Kessie, 25, is out of contract at the end of the season and is able to discuss a precontract agreement over a free transfer move as of July 1.

The central midfielder, who began his career with Atalanta before joining Milan five years ago, is set to sign a contract which will earn him €6.5m per season.

11.02 GMT: Kylian Mbappe must have been “impressed” by his visit to the Bernabeu last week, according to Casemiro.

Mbappe was on target against Real Madrid to put Paris Saint-Germain 2-0 up on aggregate in their Champions League round of 16 tie — before a Karim Benzema hat trick put Madrid into the quarterfinals.

“I’m sure [the Bernabeu] impressed him,” midfielder Casemiro told Diario AS. “It impresses me every day. But what was really impressive was the fans.”

Madrid want Mbappe to star in the newly redeveloped stadium — an €800m transformation is due to be completed late this year — while they’re also keen on Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland.

“They aren’t Madrid players, so I can’t say much more,” Casemiro said when asked about the prospect of playing with both. “They’re ‘top’ players, they’ve shown their quality.”

10.20 GMT: Is Erling Haaland to Manchester City really a done deal? Gab Marcotti doesn’t think the Borussia Dortmund striker’s future has been decided just yet.

play

0:50

Gab Marcotti doesn’t think Erling Haaland’s future has been decided just yet.

09.41 GMT: Portuguese outlet Record reports that Benfica will demand a transfer fee of €80m (£67m) for star striker Darwin Nunez if he is to move this summer.

Nunez, 22, is one of the hottest properties in European football and has scored 26 goals in 33 appearances in all competitions this season — including four in the Champions League to help fire Benfica into the quarterfinals.

Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle United have all been linked with the Uruguay international, along with AC Milan, Barcelona and a host of Europe’s top clubs.

The report says that Benfica decided to increase his transfer value after he scored the winner against Ajax in the Champions League round of 16 this week.

09.00 GMT: AS reports that Cristiano Ronaldo now seems likely to stay at Manchester United next season … because interim manager Ralf Rangnick will not remain at Old Trafford.

The Spanish newspaper says there is a bad relationship between the 37-year-old and Rangnick, and the German’s short tenure has been so disappointing he may no longer take up the sporting director role in the summer.

Ronaldo will commit to stay at United next season to see out the two-year contract he signed at the start of this campaign.

PAPER GOSSIP

– A number of clubs are said to be interested in a move for Manchester United playmaker Jesse Lingard, with the player set to be a free agent in the summer. That is according to Nicolo Schira, who reports that Lingard will leave Old Trafford at the end of the season after holding off moving in January. West Ham United, Newcastle United, AC Milan and AS Roma are said to be keen on the 29-year-old.

– As for potential player incomings for Manchester United, The Athletic reports that the Red Devils are interested in a move for Ajax midfielder Ryan Gravenberch. The side are said to have sent scouts out to watch Gravenberch, 19, on several occasions for the Eredivisie side. The Netherlands international has become a regular for Ajax under Erik ten Hag, a manager that United have also been linked with a move for in the summer.

– Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby is being monitored by Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle, according to Sport1 reporter Patrick Berger. The forward has scored 16 goals with nine assists so far this season. Leverkusen are said to be holding out for a transfer fee of €60m to let the 22-year-old leave.

– Real Madrid are monitoring a move for Flamengo youngster Matheus Franca, says Ekrem Konur. The attacking midfielder has been promised big things in the future though his deal with the Brazilian side runs until 2027. The 17-year-old has broken into Brazil’s under-20s side and Real Madrid are looking to replicate recent moves for the likes of Vinicius Junior and Rodrygo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous post Five strikers who could replace Haaland at Dortmund
Next post Fantasy basketball: Key pickups to address 3s, steals and blocks